They may include:
- Coughing - chronic or recurring (worse particularly at night and in the early hours of the morning)
- Shortness of breath
- Pain or a tight feeling in the chest
- Flaring of the nostrils when breathing in interrupted talking
- Asthmatic patients can go in for Panchkarma therapies like vamana and virechana before the onset of monsoon.
- Honey is one of the most effective remedies used for Asthma. During bouts of Asthma, just holding a jug of honey beneath the nose and inhaling the air in contact with honey helps in easier breathing and provides temporary relief from Asthma. When consumed internally with equal parts of dates, black resins and pippali, it acts as a good lung tonic by thinning out the accumulated mucus and eliminating it from the respiratory system.
- When five grams of Indian gooseberry or Amla is mixed with one table spoon of honey and consumed, it acts as an expectorant, and is an effective medicine for Asthma.
- During Asthmatic attacks, massaging sesame oil with camphor over the chest will loosen the mucus and help easy breathing. Simultaneously, inhaling steam with a few caraway seeds (ajwain) added to boiling water will help in dilatation of bronchial passage.
- Ayurvedic medicines for treating Asthma are:
- Yoga mudra
- Surya namaskara
Om Ayurveda & Yoga Centre ( OAYC )
Tel : 0821 -2412077/2510214